
Just so that you don't think I want to look like this, let's define skinny (for me)! I even hate to use that word "skinny" because it is synonymous with words like: thin, lean, undernourished, emaciated, scrawy, scraggy or skeletal and I don't want to look anything like that! Skinny is a word associated with healthy, non-obese people and therefore, it is a word accepted by our society. But for me, skinny does not mean this picture (FAR FROM IT) but rather that my BMI (Body Mass Index)--calculate yours here: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ is in the "normal range of 18.5-24.9." It also means that I am happy with the way I look and feel. It means that my thighs don't rub together, that my back rolls don't show through my shirt, that I can cross my legs comfortably, that I can run up the stairs without feeling winded, that I am not addicted to sugar in its many yummy forms, that I have the energy needed to chase my children and the energy needed to be chased by my husband :) That is how "I" define skinny for me. It is different for all people! But mostly, I just don't want to be a 'statistic' of American people labeled in the obese category nor do I want to pass that to my children. I've recently learned that the greatest gift I can give my children is to be here for them, to watch them grow up and to be a positive role model for which they strive. So, even though "skinny" is not my favorite word, it is a word I'll use to articulate where I want to go on this journey! I'm desperately searching for a better word, though!
No comments:
Post a Comment